Prince Andrew acknowledges lawsuit against him alleging he sexually assaulted a woman

Prince Andrew has acknowledged by means of his lawyer that he has been served with a lawsuit by a U.S. girl who says he sexually assaulted her, clearing a hurdle that had stalled authorized proceedings for a number of weeks.

The acknowledgment was confirmed in a joint settlement signed by a lawyer for the prince, authorized by a Manhattan federal decide and entered into the general public courtroom report Tuesday.

The courtroom papers mentioned Andrew had been difficult acceptance of the lawsuit till attorneys spoke by cellphone on Sept. 21. An settlement was signed three days later, in line with the order signed by Decide Lewis A. Kaplan.

Within the lawsuit, Virginia Giuffre claims Andrew abused her on a number of events in 2001 when she was below 18. His lawyer has referred to as the allegations “baseless.”

Delivering a lawsuit to a defendant is often a routine matter, however it may be extra difficult when a defendant resides exterior america.

A decide should be glad {that a} defendant has been correctly notified of the allegations and has an inexpensive time frame to answer them. The prince should file responses to the lawsuit’s claims by Oct. 29. A convention was scheduled for Nov. 3.

RELATED :  Carey Price to return to Canadiens Monday after month in NHL's player assistance program
On this picture taken from video issued by the BBC in December 2019, Virginia Giuffre is seen throughout an interview by which she mentioned says she was a trafficking sufferer made to have intercourse with Prince Andrew when she was 17. (BBC Panorama/The Related Press)

Prince denies claims

Attorneys for Giuffre had informed the decide that they’d delivered the lawsuit to Andrew in quite a few methods, although by no means straight into his arms.

At one level, Britain’s excessive courtroom accepted a request from Giuffre’s attorneys to formally contact Andrew in regards to the lawsuit.

Los Angeles lawyer Andrew Brettler, who signed the papers on Andrew’s behalf acknowledging the prince was conscious of the lawsuit, had argued at a listening to this month that Giuffre’s declare was “baseless, nonviable and potentially unlawful.”

In late 2019, Andrew informed the BBC Newsnight program that he by no means had intercourse with Giuffre, saying, “It didn’t happen.”

Brettler has mentioned that Andrew can’t be sued as a result of an earlier lawsuit in america that was settled “absolves our client from any and all liability.” That 2009 settlement doc, nevertheless, stays sealed.

The Related Press doesn’t sometimes establish individuals who say they’re victims of sexual assault until they select to return ahead publicly, as Giuffre has.