J.C. Penney has delayed the closings of 15 shops that had been scheduled to shutter in March and added three places to its closure checklist.
The division retailer chain was one of many largest retailers to file for Chapter 11 chapter safety through the COVID-19 pandemic and officers mentioned in Might 2020 that they deliberate to shut about 29% of its 846 shops or 242 places.
Now, a complete of 18 shops are scheduled to shut in mid-Might bringing the closures to 174.
“Our go-forward store count is 672. We have 18 stores that are scheduled to close to the public on May 16,” J.C. Penney mentioned in a quick assertion to USA TODAY. “There are no additional store closures planned at this time.”
In December, J.C. Penney officers advised USA TODAY 15 of the 18 shops on the closing checklist would shut in mid to late March as a part of its restructuring. Officers wouldn’t reply questions on why the closings had been delayed till Might.
Free Lowe’s gardening kits:Lowe’s plans ‘SpringFest’ occasion with free curbside ‘Backyard-to-Go’ tasks for households. How to enroll
Grape-Nuts scarcity is over:Cereal model to reimburse shoppers who paid inflated costs throughout COVID scarcity
Since submitting for chapter, J.C. Penney has added two new house items retailer manufacturers into its combine and mentioned in January it could cease carrying MyPillow merchandise after CEO Mike Lindell pushed claims of voter fraud within the 2020 presidential election.
Different retailers are also closing shops this yr, together with Macy’s, Mattress Tub & Past, Godiva and Christopher & Banks. As shoppers proceed to buy on-line, Greatest Purchase CEO Corie Barry mentioned the corporate is anticipated to shut extra shops in 2021 than it often does.
At many retailers, liquidation gross sales have been dealt with in a different way through the pandemic with fewer customers allowed into shops based mostly on state and native rules.
Mattress Tub & Past debuts Nestwell model:Sure, you should utilize the 20% off coupon on the sheets and towels
J.C. Penney retailer closures 2021
The next 18 shops are slated to shut Might 16.
Alabama J.C. Penney closing retailer
- Enterprise: Enterprise Purchasing Heart, 626 Boll Weevil Circle
Arizona J.C. Penney retailer closure
- Kingman: Kingman Sq. Purchasing Heart, 3127 Stockton Hill Street
Idaho J.C. Penney retailer closing
- Coeur d’Alene: Silverlake Mall, 200 W. Hanley Ave.
Illinois closing J.C. Penney retailer
- Mattoon: Cross County Mall, 700 Broadway Ave.
Kansas J.C. Penney closing retailer
- Backyard Metropolis: Backyard Metropolis Plaza, 2302 E. Kansas Ave.
Kentucky J.C. Penney retailer closings
- Hazard: Black Gold Mall, 278 Black Gold Blvd.
- Murray: Chestnut Hills Mall, 720 N. twelfth St. (US 641)
Massachusetts J.C. Penney closure
- Sturbridge: Sturbridge Plaza, 194 Principal St.
Michigan J.C. Penney closing retailer
Missouri J.C. Penney retailer closing
- West Plains: Southern Hills Heart, 1414 Southern Hills Heart
North Carolina J.C. Penney closure
- Matthews: Windsor Sq., 10101 E. Independence Blvd.
Ohio closing J.C. Penney retailer
- Bellefontaine: Fontaine Plaza, 1710 S. Principal St.
Pennsylvania J.C. Penney closing retailer
- Clarion: Clarion Mall, 22631 Route 68
South Carolina J.C. Penney closure
Texas J.C. Penney retailer closing
- Temple: Colonial/Temple Mall, 3111 S. thirty first St.
Vermont J.C. Penney closing retailer
- Saint Johnsbury: Inexperienced Mountain Mall, 1996 Memorial Drive
Virginia J.C. Penney retailer closing
- Glen Allen: Virginia Heart Commons Mall, 10101 Brook Street
Washington J.C. Penney retailer closure
- Sequim: Sequim Village Purchasing Heart, 651 W. Washington
Contributing: Nathan Bomey, USA TODAY
Comply with USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko